The article casts light on the history of Jehovah’s Witnesses in Egypt and their attempt to officially return to Egypt.
In 1955, Muhammad Wajdī Qandīl, a reporter for Ākhir Sā‘ah at that time and later its editor-in-chief, successfully disclosed the Zionist objectives of the Jehovah’s Witnesses group in Egypt. In 1960 the group was officially suspended by President Jamāl ‘Abd al-Nāsir as a restricted group. Since then, the group practices its activities secretly. Ra’fat Zakī, the writer and historian, states that the group is the most dangerous deviant ideology ever. They are non-Christians because they attack Christianity as well as other religions.
In 1935, they were first established in Egypt, opening their center under the guise of charity work. They were active enough to persuade many Egyptians and Greeks to join their belief. Subsequently, they successfully opened offices in other regions all over Egypt.
Their attempt to officially return to Egypt began in February, 2004 when they contacted the National Council for Human Rights [www.nchr.org.eg/En/home.asp]. A delegation was sent to meet with Dr. Ahmad Kamāl Abū al-Majd, the council’s vice-president, to ask for protection for the group’s Egyptian members. In February, 2009, another delegation from a committee of European Jehovah’s Witnesses visited the council and discussed the status of the group in light of the rejection of the group by both society and the Coptic Orthodox Church.
Father ‘Abd al-Masīh Basīt, teacher of apologetics in Coptic institutions, plays an important role in opposing their ideas revealing how these ideas conform with Zionist thought. He states that the only way to face them is by disclosing the truth about them to people. [To read more about Father ‘Abd al-Masīh Basīt’s views on Jehovah’s Witnesses see AWR 2009, week 15 article 23]